It’s not often you attend a baseball pre-season kick-off event and walk away a better person. But that’s exactly what happened February 1st at Southside Christian School – thanks to our head Coach, Ken Ledford, and Monte Lee, head baseball coach at Clemson University.
It was Coach Ledford’s 2nd annual First Pitch dinner/team announcement event for our middle school, JV and varsity baseball players and their families. My #18 outfielder, Griffin Grom, will begin his 2nd season with Sabre Baseball Nation and will continue to benefit from the collaboration and camaraderie of this incredible team. For this, I am eternally grateful.
So, what made us better people? I don’t think anyone in the room would disagree that the combined messages from these influential coaches motivated, inspired, enhanced or sparked each of us in some unique way.
What follows are practical insights and encouraging words that will help me continue to push myself and others to be better, more often. Which ones resonate with you?
- Make every day opening day.
- Your 1st game is no more important than today’s practice.
- Be great where your feet are.
- Sit up front and in the middle. It matters.
- When you’re on time, you’re late.
- Burn the ships! A reference to Cortez conquering the Aztecs.
- No retreat. No surrender.
- It’s not difficult – it’s time consuming.
- Continue to do things that point to Christ’s character. All the time.
- Actions speak.
- There is a difference between fear and danger. Conquer fear.
- We over me.
- Stats don’t matter. Help the team win.
- YOU are your best friend. Don’t be so hard on yourself.
- Replace ‘have to’ with ‘get to’ and see how perspective changes.
- Clemson TIGERS: